Severe storms and other natural disasters can wreak havoc on affected areas, and, sometimes, the winds can get so violent that they may cause even a healthy tree to topple and hit your home.
Here are the six crucial steps you should take to ensure that you and your loved ones are safe should a tree fall on your roof.
- Secure yourself and your family. This is the most important step and should take precedence over everything else. When a tree falls on your roof, evacuate your home immediately, and check for injuries. If anybody appears to be injured or hurt, call an ambulance immediately.
- Check electrical lines. If a tree topples near your home, it is not unlikely that it may have taken down a power line with it. Fall power lines can cause a fire or, even worse, a deadly electric shock. Watch out for signs like flickering lights or the smell of smoke, and call the necessary authorities right away.
- Call emergency services. Once you are absolutely sure that everybody is safe and out of harm’s way, call your local authorities and emergency services to report the situation. If anybody is hurt, call an ambulance first.
- Document the damage. Once you are at a safe distance, take photographs or videos of the tree itself and any damage on the exterior and interior of your building as well as the surrounding area. Be as detailed as possible as this is vital when filing for an insurance claim.
- Secure your home. It is highly likely that you will not be able to live in your house immediately. Secure all windows, doors and openings, and find a safe place to stay while your home is being repaired.
- Call the pros. Do not attempt to remove the tree by yourself! Hire a trusted roof repair professional to remove the tree, secure your home and assess and repair the damage.
In need of storm damage repair? Give Brownstone Roofing a call at (502) 443-9222, or fill out our contact form so we can restore your roof right away and prevent further damage. We serve areas in and around Jeffersonville, IN.